Council of Scientific Affairs
Council of Scientific Affairs
The Council of Scientific Affairs and Scientific Research consists of the Vice President for Scientific Affairs and Scientific Research as President and the membership of:
- College deans.
- Deans of Institutes.
- A representative of the syndicate from the teaching body of the university.
- The President of the University appoints a University staff member as the Secretary of the Council.
Functions of the Council of Scientific Affairs
The Council of Scientific Affairs undertakes the functions related to scientific affairs, scientific research and higher studies, in particularly the following:
- Suggesting internal lists for the study plans. These plans indicate the courses that are taught, how they are distributed among the years or terms of study, the number of hours allotted for each course, and the department that teaches or supervises their teaching.
- Approval of the subjects taught in the courses based on the proposal of the relevant department councils and the approval of the relevant college councils or directors of independent educational programs.
- Approval of the moving the teaching of a course from one term to the other based on the suggestion of the relevant department councils and the approval of the relevant college councils or directors of independent educational programs.
- Proposing the development of study plans and curricula.
- Following the scientific activity of the programs offered by the university and supervising them.
- Setting plans for the development of teaching, technical and research bodies.
- Forming committees to examine the scientific production of university employees, candidates for the teaching body, scientific research and technical committee, and evaluating such production in the event of differences of opinions in the committee or in case of objection to its report in the concerned councils.
- Proposing the terms of appointing faculty members, the scientific research authority and the technical bodies.
- Determining the type of scientific work that faculty, research and technical members are devoted to.
- Proposing criteria for the equivalence of diplomas and qualifications for the University Council.
- Proposing rules for awarding scientific production awards.
- Proposing the foundations of sending people abroad to conferences, seminars, courses and scientific missions.
- Proposing the establishment of scientific relations with universities and institutions in the Syrian Arab Republic and abroad and with international institutions and proposing the recognition of universities and institutes.
- Setting and reviewing the terms of scientific promotion for employees in scientific, research and technical bodies.
- Following-up on the quality control of education and adherence to the approved quality standards and developing proposals to implement these.
- Giving a viewpoint on all matters of education in its different degrees.
- Setting scientific research and graduate studies plans in the university in light of the policy established by the Board of Trustees.
- Managing and following up on the scientific research and supervising the graduate studies at the university and proposing ways to develop them.
- Submitting proposals to the University Council in all matters relating to scientific research and postgraduate studies at the University.
- Monitoring the level of performance at the university regarding scientific research and postgraduate studies, and following up on the implementation of the decisions of the Board of Trustees and the University Council.
- Organizing, encouraging and providing the necessary resources for research.
- Proposing the establishment of new specialties in postgraduate studies and opening them.
- Proposing admission rules for the postgraduate studies.
- Forming panels and the proposing awarding degrees for postgraduate studies.
- Proposing rules for awarding financial rewards to supervisors, panel members and researchers.
- Proposing the distribution of grants, donations and assistance presented to scientific research and supervising its management.
- Issuing and supervising scientific research journals.
- Consider the matters delegated by the University president.
It is generally concerned with the consideration of all scientific and educational affairs of colleges, institutes and educational programs and their scientific development and in all matters of postgraduate studies, scientific research and lifelong learning, in a manner that does not conflict with the competencies of other councils.