Programming Marathon for children and adolescents
The importance of the programming Marathon for Children and youths
In recognition of the role of early learning of the skills of analysis and reasoning in children and adolescents, and to enhance the idea of teamwork and the spirit of competition and the organization of their teams; in order to prepare a generation that keeps up with the technology development and contributes to finding solutions that serve reality in the different sectors. Therefore, the Centre for training and lifelong learning at the University is organizing annually the Marathon of Programming for children and youths based on the social, scientific and academic message of the university and a contribution on its side in preparing the future generation in Syria.
Rules for participation in the programming marathon for children and youths:
- Participants in the preparatory course for the programming marathon for children and youths are accepted on the basis of a level-setting test where participants are divided into age groups and into several levels (beginners, intermediate and advanced).
- Appropriate training is provided on the various software technologies and the logical thinking mechanisms for each age group of children and youths and with the supervision of a number of academically competent trainers who are able to deal with this segment. Pre-tests are carried out for the participants through the approved test systems at the virtual university and within the supervision standards adopted by the virtual university. The candidates are selected to participate in the marathon according to specific criteria to be announced.
Curriculum in the programming marathon for children and youths:
The program marathon includes the children's competition (8-11 years) and the youth competition (12-15 years). The two competitions aim to test the optimal performance of solving several questions divided into three groups:
- A software question that is shaped as a game, requiring the contestant to implement it using the graphical programming language “Scratch”.
- Questions of logical and Computing thinking,
- C ++ programming questions, taking into account the complexity of each age group.
A contestant who can perform the bigger number of required tasks in the right and correct form of software wins and in a way that deepens logical reasoning skills and problem solving and enhances the role of the contestant as a solution designer.